On July 20th 2019, the world will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 Moon mission. This was the moon landing that inspired an entire generation of innovators and explorers. It remains one of the highest achievements of mankind’s efforts and ingenuity. The technological advances needed for the Apollo program accelerated innovations in rockets, computers and other space-age materials.
In 1969, astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins lifted off from Launch Pad 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida on a journey to the Moon and into history. Four days later, on 20th July, while Collins orbited the Moon in the command module, Armstrong and Aldrin landed Apollo 11’s lunar module, Eagle, on the Moon’s Sea of Tranquility, becoming the first humans to set foot on the lunar surface.
Generasi Marikh Academy in collaboration with Planetarium Negara plans to capture and expand on that excitement by hosting MOONSHOT, a space party with amazing speakers and activities with the goal of motivating the next generation and propelling Malaysia towards becoming a spacefaring nation.
Invited guest speakers include:
- Angkasawan Negara – Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, Malaysian orthopaedic surgeon and the first Malaysian astronaut.
- Lt. Colonel (Dr) Amei Farina, Aviation Medicine specialist from Royal Malaysian Air Force’s (RMAF) Institute of Aviation Medicine.
- Shahrizal Ide Moslin, Researcher at the National Space Agency of Malaysia (ANGKASA), in the Space Application and Technology Development Division.
Each participant will get a special edition MOONSHOT t-shirt with printed on mission patch, space lunch set, space games and activities, an autographed book and personal photo with Dr Sheikh Muszpahar Shukor, our Angkasawan Negara! There will also be a screening of a new Apollo 11 documentary.
Moonshot is open to kids aged 5 to 15 years old, and tickets are limited. Registration fee: RM180 (discount for former space cadets of Generasi Marikh Academy, and also for group bookings).
Date: 20 July 2019
Venue: Planetarium Negara, Kuala Lumpur
- 9:00-10:00AM – Registration
- 10:00-11:30AM – Inspirational speakers from the space industry (Dr Sheikh Muszaphar will speak at 11:00AM)
- 11:30AM-1:30PM – Book signing, photo taking and lunch
- 1:30-2:30PM – Space activities and games
- 2:30-3:30PM- Screening of Apollo 11 documentary
About Angkasawan Negara
Dato’ Dr. Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor is a orthopaedic surgeon and the first Malaysian astronaut. He launched to the International Space Station aboard Soyuz TMA-11 with the Expedition 16 crew on 10 October 2007.
About Generasi Marikh Academy
Generasi Marikh Academy is a leadership development program based on the excitement of space exploration that inspires youths to pursue careers and be entrepreneurs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM). Our mission to develop the talent pipeline for Malaysia’s current and future space and aerospace industries. We hope that one day Malaysia can be a space faring nation.
About Planetarium Negara
Planetarium Negara (the National Planetarium), which celebrates their 25th anniversary this year, is an agency that spearheads education and promotion in astronomy and space science.
For more information about MOONSHOT : Generasimarikh.com/moonshot