Mystery Science is a cool new science resource website offering open-and-go lessons designed to inspire kids to love science with hands-on activities that engage students with the mysteries of science and expose them to the joy of scientific inquiry at an early age. Online modules include everything educators need, from visuals and videos, to step-by-step activity instructions and click-to-order materials.
Created by former Facebook product manager for News Feed, Keith Schacht, and former LePort Schools science director, Doug Peltz, Mystery Science makes it easy for teachers – or anyone, for that matter – to deliver an incredible science lesson without a science background. Open to teachers, homeschoolers and parents looking to extend science outside of school, Mystery Science lessons are aligned with Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards and designed to supplement existing curriculum.
“Elementary teachers are in an impossible situation, they’re expected to teach and be experts on every subject. Unfortunately the system too easily forces science to be an afterthought, given that few elementary teachers have a background in science and school funding is so tightly tied to test results in reading and math. Teachers understandably fall back on a textbook approach, which results in students being exposed to science vocabulary but never the mysteries behind the science. So we’re creating a new approach with less prep for teachers and more learning for students.” – Doug Peltz
About Mystery Science
- Complete science curriculum recommended for students in Grade 2 to 5 (K-1 to be added in 2016-2017)
- Hands-on approach leads students in the doing of science and engineering
- NGSS and Common Core – fulfills all NGSS requirements and supports CCSS ELA standards
- Less prep, more learning – lets educators prep for lessons in minutes
- Includes short videos and discussion questions to further student learning
Mystery Science Free for 1 Year
Best of all, Mystery Science is available free for 1 year. This offer is only available for a limited time only so I highly recommend that you sign up soon. After this introductory period is over, Mystery Science will be chargeable at $99/year.
What teachers are saying
“After starting Mystery Science, we had parent-teacher conferences and a parent remarked that whatever I’m doing with science right now, it’s really engaging. This mom’s son was coming home each night and telling her what he learned that day, taking her outside to look at the moon and find the constellations.” – Katy Hyatt from Walnut Elementary in Iowa
- Resources for Science Experiments
- Math and Science One Minute Mysteries
- Science Apps: Exploring Space and a Science Lab
- The Magic School Bus Science Resources
- Let’s Learn Science with Bill Nye the Science Guy
- Awesome Science Apps from Touchpress
- Science Books: Basher Books
- Science Kits by Science Wiz
- Magformers for STEAM Education
- Elenco Electronic Kits