Dragon Box Math Apps first came onto our radar when we discovered DragonBox Algebra. It was so cool and so fun, I don’t think my boys even suspected that they were learning Math when they played it. I thought it was such a cleverly designed way of teaching algebra to children that when We Want to Know AS, the creators of DragonBox Algebra, released Dragon Box Elements, I didn’t even have to think about it whether to buy the app or not.
What is DragonBox Elements?
DragonBox Elements is an app that will take your children on an amazing adventure where they will learn geometry without even realising that they’re learning! Offering 100+ puzzles, children (and adults!) will have fun while they gain a deeper understanding of the logic of geometry. Through exploration and discovery, they will use shapes and their properties to recreate the mathematical proofs that define geometry.
It begins with very simple puzzles that require players to identify the shapes.
It progressively teaches new mathematical rules.
These rules will provide the foundation for solving more complex geometric puzzles in the later levels.
DragonBox Elements Features
- Learn as a family, through guidance and collaborative play, with up to 4 individual game saves
- 100+ levels, for several hours of intensive logical reasoning practice
- Aligned with the concepts studied in high school and middle school mathematics
- Explore the properties of geometric shapes through Euclidian proof: triangles (scalene, isosceles, equilateral, right), circles, quadrilaterals (trapezoid, parallelogram, rhombus, rectangle, square), right angles, line segments, parallel and transversal lines, vertical angles, corresponding angles, corresponding angles converse, and more…
- Improve logical reasoning skills dramatically by creating mathematical proofs and solving geometrical puzzles
- Gain an instinctive understanding of the properties of shapes and angles through play
- Transfer learning to pen and paper with the learning resources found on wewanttoknow.com
Age recommendation: from age 8 (younger children will require adult guidance) – G1, who is 7, has been enjoying the app enormously. G2, who is 4, likes to play the app, although he requires assistance.
Watch the Trailer
If you are stuck and don’t know how to proceed, there are a series of “walkthroughs” for each chapter you can follow on Youtube:
Where to Get Dragon Box Elements
You can download the app from:
- iTunes for $2.99
- Google Play for Androids for $2.99
- Amazon for Androids (there are geographical restrictions for purchase)
About We Want to Know AS
We Want to Know AS is the brain child of Math teacher Jean-Baptiste Huynh and cognitive scientist Patrick Marchal. Their aim was to create Apps that will teach 5 big ideas in Math through game play:
Currently, they have apps for algebra and geometry and they have been a phenomenal success! I can’t wait to see what games they come up with to teach children the other three subjects…