Aristotle has gone nuts about strawberries – ever since he saw Barry the Berry from “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2“. Now he wants everything strawberry. The only thing is I don’t have a strawberry cake recipe so I modified a Marmalade Cake recipe I found in an old Women’s Weekly recipe book and made this…
I would have decorated it with strawberries except that Hercules is my true-blue strawberry fan and he eats them by the punnet. Suffice to say he gobbled the three punnets we had in the fridge so I was left with only the raspberries and blueberries.
What was the feedback? It wasn’t “strawberry-ish” enough. Well, I can understand why. What it really needs is some strawberry puree in the recipe to give it some extra “strawberry-oomf”. The cake texture was nice, but the flavour was a bit uni-dimensional. I’m not sure that the brown sugar is working for me – maybe a half teaspoon of salt next time? Probably the easiest way to fix this cake is to top it with some strawberry frosting.
- 125g butter, softened
- 180g plain flour
- 45g wholemeal pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp double action baking powder
- 150g brown sugar
- 60ml milk
- 60ml strawberry jam
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 180C. Might have to lower the temperature partway through a little because the brown sugar tends to burn easily.
- Pop all the ingredients into the mixing bowl and blend together with your mixer.
- Pour into a greased, ring pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
Powered by Max Banner Ads