My Mum used to make this a lot when I was a kid and I loved it so I tried making it some time back. I was delighted to discover that it’s a hit with the fussy hubby as well so I thought I’d better write down the recipe before I forget what I did. Here it is…
- 1 whole chicken chopped into pieces
- marinade: 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp sesame oil, dash of pepper, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 3 tbsp dark soy sauce, 200 ml water
- a few slices of ginger
- a few cloves of garlic (smash them)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- Marinade the chicken pieces with the marinade ingredients.
- Put everything into a stock pot.
- Add the ginger, garlic, onion, potatoes and carrot.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Drop the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.
The end result can be a bit oily so you might want to skim off some of the oil layer. You can also remove the chicken skin.
Variations: you can omit either the carrots or the potatoes, but I think you must have at least one of them to maintain the flavour of the dish.
Powered by Max Banner Ads