Right Brain Education: Developing the Photographic Memory Function

Want to learn more about Right Brain Education and how to practice at home with your child? Subscribe to our free newsletter and get a bonus Right Brain Education activity manual free!

After everything I have been reading about right brain education and the development of photographic memory, it was interesting to read this article that validated it all from a different perspective. Basically, the article talks about a technique used during World War II to help train aircrew gunners to make split-second decisions as to whether or not to fire since they don’t want to shoot their own planes. The technique involved flashing photographs of the planes they had to recognise onto a screen for a few hundredths of a second so that they could speed up their aircraft identification skills. Through this exercise, they discovered by accident that you could develop photographic memory skills using this technique.

The rapid flashing of photographs sounds a lot like the rapid flashing of flash cards during right brain class, doesn’t it? They found that some subjects got so good at it that they could look at a page in a book for a short duration and then read it aloud from the image in their memory. This is exactly what some children who have received right brain training can do. This validates the flash card method for developing photographic memory.

The individuals that received this training were adults which confirms that even adults can develop photographic memories with rapid flashing. So if you ever needed confirmation that right brain training for children over 6 years is not too late, I hope this helps.

To facilitate the training, it might be worth while following the method they used to train their pilots. They did the training in darkened rooms so their eyes were dark adapted. With dark adapted eyes, they were able to hold on to the images for a few seconds after they were flashed. What’s more is that the residual images were positive rather than the negative images we see if we stare at an image for a fixed period of time and then look away (as in after-image training or photoeyeplay).

In the pilots’ training, they use a tachistoscope, however, the writer of the article, Bob Fritzius, tried a different method to achieve the same effect – rapidly opening and closing your eyes. Interestingly, this sounds exactly like the camera-shutter eye training described in Quantum Speed Reading by Yumiko Tobitani. Here’s the description of the process provided by Fritzius:

Rapidly open and close your eyes. This is not unlike exposing film in a camera. The first few hundred times you try this, you’ll probably get blurred images because your eyeballs aren’t yet convinced to hold still during the exposure. The images will be there but doubled, usually vertically. Keep trying! It’s also wise to make sure nobody is watching you.

After a month or so of your covert camera work you should find that your eyeballs begin to cooperate (the process might be called the steely eye)and images of big things with good contrast start to hang on. Big letters on billboards and soft drink machines make good targets.

With lots of work, assuming you haven’t been put away, you should find that text in books show up in blurry fashion, unreadable, but recognizable as fuzzy text. Large print documents may bring more rewarding results. As time goes on the acuity should improve to the point of readability.

You can cheat, or take a short cut if you please, by using a camera strobe flash in a dark room. Hold the flash unit above or to the side of your head and aim it at an outstretched arm. You’ll see a bright image of your arm that does not immediately fade away. The image may last for two or three seconds. If you lower your arm while the image is still active you can have your own spooky show.

You can also try the aircraft tachistoscope simulation he provides. I wonder if you could achieve the same thing by rapidly flashing images on a computer in a darkened room?

Shichida, Heguru, Right Brain Education

Comments

1. Hi ! I’m so sorry! I forgot to reply your previous comment.

1. Rapid flash is not like linking memory. You show the picture and say what it is and quickly change to the next card and say what it is and so on. Try to change the cards every second or faster. See the following link for more information:

2. Photoeyeplay – is an after-imaging activity. See Activity 2 in the following post:

3. Mandala is explained here:

To do these activities, you child must be old enough to be able to follow instructions. This will vary from child to child as some children are ready earlier and others need more time. If your child is too young, you can do the activities and let your child observe.

These activities should not take long. If you are losing your child’s interest, I would stop and continue again another day.

2. duyhoa83 says:

Surely you are not available to reply, but i still post a concern here about Wink PhotoEyeplay. Can you tell in details how to use it? Like what’s suitable age? How long does it take a day?….

3. duyhoa83 says:

Hi Shen-Li. I’ve read lot your stuff here about photographic memory but not get clear about which steps or what kind of activities for a child, from infant to older, needed to develop this function. The thing i know is:
    1. Rapid flash (not sure how they do? Flashing while talking the name of card or flashing and telling stoty like LM? –> Plz advise in details.
    2. Photo-eye play activities
    3. Mandala
    Can you plz advise if it is correct or any missing here? If we need to make a manual for Photographic Memory, what should be the details?
    Thanks a lot for your feedback.

4. Fz Teh says:

Hi Tim,

Mind to give us link to the app you have just mentioned. 1000x thanks.

5. Hi Tim – who created the photomemory app? I have tried searching for it on itunes but cannot find it. The programs listed do not fit the description you gave. Thanks!

6. Tim says:

There’s an app for that. It’s called PhotoMemory. You’re supposed to sit in a dark room and stare at it while it flashes a bunch of pictures at you.

7. Pei Lin – I bought all of my books from Shichida Japan (which was the four books they had available). I’m afraid I don’t know of any English books available. I did see one on Amazon last time but it’s out of print and very hard to get.

8. Pei-Lin says:

Shen Li,

Do you know if Malaysia bookstore sell Shichida English version books ? I look through the website and it seems that I have to order from oversea.

Thank you.

Pei Lin

9. Fz Teh says:

Pei Lin,

Yes, great to hear from parents that audio learning is useful. But it is still useful to me until now especially to strings of complexed terms before flashing pictures such as stratocumulus lenticularis….or glassopharyngeal nerve, parahypocampus gyrus..or abacus formulae..

I think they are entirely 2 different systems. See’s Maths doesn’t use worksheet at all, not until 5 in the school, I ever visited the school, the principal showed me a mock-up ball contained all the dots in the form of equation to be shown to young children, a bit like doman’s dots flashing and expecting the children to give the answer from there, but unfortunately parents were not allowed to buy then, ponder further, this is Maths manipulatives , still need to be discarded later.

Yes, it has taught me wiser while talking to parents all round the world, to know what they are doing, thinking, or what they have to say on certain topics …..and you have also stirred up my interest on QSP again. Thanks.

10. Pei-Lin says:

Thanks Fz and Shen Li for sharing your experiences. I am so excited to be able to chat with both of you. I had also started on audio learning with both of my kids after learning about Fz daughter. I believe sometimes children listen subconsciously even though they does not seem to pay attention. This happens a couple of times with my daughter.

Pei Lin

11. Pei-Lin,

That’s an interesting question about photographic memory… As far as I understand – I think I read it from Shichida – we are all born with the photographic memory function. It’s just that some of us cannot access the function because we have not developed the communication between the left and right brain sufficiently – which is part of what right brain education does. So I guess it means that the memories are there, but we just struggle to reach them. So if a child has learned how to access those memories, I’m guessing they should have the photographic memory for life.

However, I have been noticing a few things about memory power that has got me thinking. For instance, my older son has demonstrated that he has what appears to be a developing photographic memory because he can recall bits of information and where he read them in which books, what page. Ironically, when it comes to number memory in Heguru class, he struggles, so I’m puzzled. It’s like the photographic memory function operates only with subjects that he is interested in – like dinosaurs. But when it comes to other subjects that he doesn’t like (e.g. numbers), it’s not there or he can’t seem to tap into it and I don’t know why.

Oh yes, regarding the children being bored at school… well, I worry about it too, but for me that isn’t reason enough to stop what we’re doing at home. School is an environment that our children will face. If they don’t fit into the environment, then surely it is the environment that should change, not our children. And I agree that the whole idea of this is to give them more time to pursue other interests so they can discover their passions in life which they will never be able to do so if they are too busy trying to keep up with school work.

12. Thanks Fz. You have inspired me on the audio learning. I initially thought that everything should be done with some visual input which has slowed me down tremendously because it takes time to prepare flash cards and other visual resources. Since you shared your successes with your daughter’s audio training, I have started reading information to Hercules and subtly to Aristotle, although I fear sometimes that his mind is closed to me because he doesn’t seem interested in what I’m doing. I try to tell him that I am doing it for his brother’s benefit in an effort to disarm him but I don’t know if it is working.

Thank you also for the tips on handling the kids with new subject. Your quick thinking and answers are great. Maybe it’s all in the attitude of the reply. I should try that with Aristotle…

13. Pei-Lin says:

Fz Teh,

Dot Matrix math is not abacus math. The dots are place on the number itself specifically. Example number 2 have (2 dots place on the number itself), and then the child will remember where is the placement on the dot. This is their level 1 math. You can see some examples in the below link.

They start learning multiplication and division concept, perform fast calculation and perform “creative calculation” in their next level. She had completed level 1 but my husband think she is not ready for the next level because they have quite a number of worksheets and she is not very suitable of working on worksheets due to her young age. I think she prefers more manipulatives, therefore we ordered a program called “Right Start Mathematics” http://www.alabacus.com/

The program is develope through montessori concept and uses an abacus. Their abacus beads are colour a certain colour to help the kids make connection with the numbers. Eventually I want to move her to “abacus method” where she is able to perform fast calculation which are more widely available in Asia.

Pei Lin

14. Fz Teh says:

Hi Shenli,

I have a tip to handle young children, but I don’t know if it works to your children. Like this…….. E.g. I don’t give V options to choose from. I never ask her : do u want to do this or that ? I told V to use 2 hands to play piano, and I don’t elaborate WHY ? I make it a point that only it’s natural that she uses 2 hands to play and ODD if she doesn’t . Of course she would ask why? My answer is : No why’s! How could one use just use one hand to play and leave another so MAD, so tell me which hand you want to leave her REAL MAD ? And pretend to look at her in DISBELIEF! ( Hey, this works most of the times because kids too don’t want is very soft in nature. They don’t wish to see conflicts between the hands. )

15. Fz Teh says:

Hi Pei Lin,

Is dot matrix abacus maths ? I find maths very annoying for young children, because they have to constantly do the similar set of activity. But I started her with abacus 2 months ago, she is pretty good now with abacus for simple single digit and all the formulas ( i know i am a bit silly) but bc I want her to explore further to activate her brain, like the Japanese, otherwise she would be marking around in the house. Also because someone has invented this method……..so I should let her try out too 😉 hehe, the very evil mother.

16. Fz Teh says:

Pei Lin,

I think the same as your hubby.

I got 36×36 TT from Shichida centre.

Hmm……….my teaching method to her is a bit different, I think she must know her simple maths calculation from 10, 100, 1,000 and 10,000 then understand what is 100,000 and 1,000,000 first before retires her to next step. Yes, I need to tell her numbers behind “point” is smaller than 1. So then I tell her what is 1-0.2, 1-0.22, 1-0.222, 1-0.2222 and if she could get the 1-0.2 right, then she is already in the right track and definitely able to do the rest 3 questions.

Since young, I was very cautious not to teach her any finger counting, when she was 2/3, ( because dont want her to get the habit to count with fingers) , and before discovered See’s Maths, I used to write on the board say 23 + Z Z Z, always a mixture of numerals and objects to let her count. Back then she could do that.

I like See’s Maths, it was taught in a kindergarten here, the beauty of this method is I could do the entire 4 maths concepts simultaneously, if the child is able to understand plus, then she is definitely able to understand multiple. The same goes to minus and division. And she is also able to do negatives such as -12-12, -12+(-4) mentally as well with simple illustration. So, since your daughter already has understood simple maths concept, then to be able to do mental maths is definitely not difficult to her.

Because if your daughter could play piano with 2 hands at tender age, that shows she is able to see the “abstract-ness” far ahead, I think.

17. Pei-Lin says:

Fz Teh,

Your daughter is truely amazing, it really showed me of what a child brain can take.

Can you recommend where did you get the TT CD? My other question is about her creative calculation 33.469-32.478, do you have to teach her how to do them or does she know how to do it automatically?

I thought my daughter math using Jones Geniuses using dot matrix method. End of the day she is imagining where is the dot on the numbers and count them. But it is still not mental math. See’s math looks interesting.

My other question that is always on my mind is will the kids get bored in school if they had learn the things beyond their level? My husband don’t seem to worry, he told me that school would be revision to them and the kids can spend their time doing other things other like music. What do you or Shen Li think?

18. Pei-Lin says:

Shen-Li,

If a child developes photographic memory, will it diminish when the child gets older? Does the child need to constantly work on the right brain in order for photographic memory to continue?

Pei Lin

19. Fz Teh says:

Hi Pei Lin-

Yes, ‘s blog is an indeed very informative website and  opinions that she writes always drive me to ponder further.

When V was young,  I read only when she could focus. But I think it isn’t necessary, like I said, when she was 4, I played CDs to her with  36×36  and she could also recite without the need to look at the book, ( not like us where we need to look at the book in order to comprehend), young child doesn’t,  this activity is really challenging, 12×12 is not a problem, but 36×36 needs a lot of brain energy, and we only do TT orally, which is much much harder.

After speed read the entire contents  then you may retire to next one.

I think  all the children who practice right brain education have got similar traits, they all have very long focus span since young.

I find maths is too abstract to teach young children.   When  V was 3.4 m old,  I taught her See’s Maths ( you may find this illustration in Shenli’s blog),  a pure mental Maths method. At 5 now, she does  mostly Grade 4/5/6 Maths workbook, can even tell formula of trigonometry to me after only a  few explanations, able to tell me Boyle’s law formula etc. But here and again I also throw in a lot of effort to help her understand the concepts by speed read Maths concept especially DIVISION and MULTIPLICATION since young (2y).  Back then it was a pure memorization. Shichida mentioned in his book on importance of pure memorization too.  I think I have done this part right. The other, she is creative in her calculation, such as 33.469-32.478 she could do the sum creatively, she would use 3-2, then 1 to take away .478 and plus back 469 mentally, I see she changes her counting speed herself.

Since maths is talking about abstract, the other thing I might have done right was  I personally cultivated her interest  to read all the stars in “outer space”,   made her memorize the position of  stars constellation,  symbols, the exercise was boring, but the space pictures provide one great things ie “imagination”. Moving from there, she likes to see  moons picture in the universe, moon’s phase,  planets, star constellations,  the making of earth, the collapse of planets, the sun and the far planets……, the supernova, the black matter….., ( sometimes with her knowledge of stars,  I was suspicious myself if she was an astronaut herself past life!), she talked to me as if she was a space scientist. So this might have contributed a lot to make her learn further the concept of “abstract” and ” void”.

How strange!? She too finds it  easy to do both hands, she started this year and she is now learning G2 pieces. She too plays all her songs by memory.

20. Fz Teh says:

Shenli- My pleasure, there are all 4-
    (1) Abrahan Lincoln -The Gettsburg Address
    (2) Elbert Hubbard-A Message to Garcia
    (3) Alice in the WonderLand-original version-first chapter
    (4) The Cyclone-original version- first chapter.

Hi Shenli, yes, Hercules is my best bet to be good in Maths for a simple reason of early exposure. I am very confident with him.

21. FZ – the book 978-7-5442-4512-8 – could you give me a full listing of the stories and speeches they have recorded?

22. Hi Raymond,

The four books you have are the only four Shichida books that I am aware of that are in English. All the others are in Chinese (or Japanese) of which I have been told that there are as many as 40 books.

23. Hi Pei-Lin,

Heguru does various high speed training and it also depends on the age of the children. For the infant class, they do speed reading with a very basic book. A high speed recording in played while parents flip quickly through the book (with child on their laps). In the toddler class, they do speed listening where they listen to a short story (usually a moral like the ones by Aesop) on three different speeds – normal speed, intermediate speed and high speed. They also have “superflash” which is very rapid flashcards intended to be flashed at about the rate of 3 cards per second. The highspeed flashing trains the right brain with minimal engagement of the left brain since the left brain likes to look at things slowly.

The jones geniuses speed reading looks interesting… I currently already have a speed reading program which I initially bought for myself. I wanted to see if it could be adapted for the children. The intention is to develop speed without a decline in comprehension which is so common with a lot of speed reading methods.

I regret that I only discovered all these thing “late” with Gavin and at an age when he didn’t want to do a lot of things. That’s why I feel that the earlier you begin the better. For instance, Gavin doesn’t like numbers so Math is very hard to teach him. I started Math very early with Gareth and now he loves numbers and is always counting everything that he sees. He developed his number and letter recognition even earlier than Gavin for whom I thought was considered early already. Unfortunately, having two also means divided attention so I have not been able to give them both as much attention as I would like. It’s great to be able to talk to other parents to get more ideas on how to help them develop further. Thank you and FZ, too!

24. Pei-Lin says:

Fz Teh,

Your daughter V is amazing, I am always interested in finding what other parents is doing for early childhood education. I find that Shen-Li’s website very informative. Not many parents that I know here(US) do right brain training for their children.

Does your child need to pay attention while you speed read (i.e looking at the large paper that you prepare)? When would you retire the speed reading material and move on to the next one?

My son is 17 months old and has lower attention span compared to my daughter. I can probably flash 5-10 cards at one sitting. I am really interested in finding the methods you are using to teach your daughter.

Maybe indirectly I am doing speed reading with my daughter without noticing it. She is 3 years and 8 months now. I did Doman cards and read a lot of books when she was young (started at 6 months old). She has very long attention span and is able to listen to me reading 20 books at one sitting and see me flashing 100 cards at one sitting. She is probably reading at Grade 3 -4. As for math, she can do additions and subtraction anything up to 20, skip counting 2/5/10, reciting 1-100. We also started reading mandarin (kindergarten level) and recognising words last month and able to recognise probably 200 words and memorize 20 nursery rhymes. She has very good memory, I am not sure if it is due to the flash card that we did when she was young. She is learning piano through soft mozart method and is playing both hands on “Bourre by Mozart”.

It is just amazing to see how the childrens brain function. Their ability to remember things effortless.

Pei Lin

Pei Lin

25. Pei-Lin says:

Shen-Li,

Does Heguru play the same high speed recording (CD) every time for the class for speed reading? Is there a book in front of the child when this recording is played?

I had enquired before about jones geniuses speed reading, the students listen to high speed text at 200 per minute then compresed to 600 per minute on “The Hobbit”

Pei Lin

26. Fz Teh says:

Hi Raymond,

May I know how yours to differ from Dr David Ting’s method ? I haven’t attended any one of those activities and becoming very curious about it. May I know if your specific device is as in software or hardware so that in any way is or isn’t allowed for parents to bring home ? Do you have any website for us to browse ? Thanks.

27. Fz Teh says:

Hi Pei Lin – This book : ISBN 978-7-5442-4512-8 comes in a CD with speeches by Abraham Lincoln such as The Gettysburg Address, A Message to Garcia, together with other stories with different speed, all by native speakers with different speed as week.

Hi Raymond- I think for books, you may get ” tons” of them either online or in bookstores, perhaps Popular bookstore in Singapore!? I am only doing wild guessing as I am in Malaysia, but I think shouldnt be a problem. Looks like English copies are very limited because as far as I am concerned M. shichida himself had written many copies on right brain education or early child education, definitely more than 20. For English copies, perhaps Shenli can tell you more.

For material, some I DIY, some purchase thru Shichida centre, or the Wink, since everyone is using the same approach, perhaps they are more reliable in terms of quality for own research done.

28. Fz Teh
    Thanks for this information – it is always encouraging to learn of these kinds of results at first hand.
    Are there bookshops in Singapore where I can buy some of the material -even if it is in Chinese. I am going there next month.
    A good friend of mine brought me the following Shichida books all the way from Japana.
    1) Shichida method
    2) Science of Intellence and Creativiity
    3) Right brain education in infancy
    4) Children can change through right brain education.
    Are there any other books available in Singpore ?

29. Fz Teh says:

Hi Pei Lin,

Back then when my daughter, V was 2/3, I used to write many factual things on a piece of very large paper, such as timetable, atomic numbers, world countries and capitals etc and read real fast ( speed read) over the years, my result was amazing, but now since I can do flash cards, so I use flash to gain the speed. But I do compare both exercises and notice this type of speed reading is very effective to train “memory” with activation of right brain faculties. So V was able to recite 12TT, can do skip 5/10/2, backward reciting, 1-100, atomic numbers all at age 2/3, so back then I tot she was a prodigy :-), guess, every mother’s wish, cos how could a young child at that age reciting all 105 atomic numbers so effortless while jumping after only few rounds of speed reading to her, still remembered I ” tested” her on day 4 when she could have known earlier.

I bought all materials from the Wink, Shichida Centre and via Internet purchase at http://shop.ibaby.my/promotion/20111010offer.html

I hardly do mandala with V even though I purchased online from a Singapore company ( so will search the books soon), yes, it is usually easy to her too. So I normally step up challenge to get her do the complicated ones.

Assuming you read Chinese, then you should also read this ” bible” by M Shichida : ISBN 978-7-5442-4512-8, but I think this book is more to older children and above, ( like Wink) when they already could receive instruction, that said, the initial few chapters are talking about how right brain is important to young child in particular pure memorization and music/learning an instrument such as piano. Strange, in this book, he emphasized a lot on music.

In fact the outlines as listed by Shenli in her blog are the ones that I follow thus far, easier and precise.

30. FZ – yes, time for me to start working more with Gavin on QSR training. I let it be for a while because he was still young but he is approaching the age when it we can start to do more of the activities.

Raymond first wrote to me to tell me it was RM1200. Perhaps that was for a different course, or perhaps they have changed their pricing because RM1200 was too prohibitive for many parents…

31. Hi Pei-Lin,

Photo-Eyeplay is available from Right Brain Kids in their Wink Kit. They also have eye exercise cards and mental imaging DVDs. You ca do your own mental imaging by having your daughter lie down while you describe scenes for her to see in her head. Make sure you talk about all the different senses – what she can smell, what she can hear, what she can taste and what she can feel, and not just what she can see.

Speed reading in Heguru is done using recording that is played at a higher speed. You can also do it at home by reading through books aloud to your child as quickly as you can.

If you are in the US, you can get the Shichida app I wrote about here – http://figur8.net/baby/2011/10/04/more-right-brain-education-apps-for-the-iphone/ which you can use to supplement yor practice activities at home with your child.

32. Hi Fz Teh,
    Yes we do use something more advanced than the simple tachistoscope. Certainy it would be worth your while to travel to Singapore.

33. Hi Pei Lin
    Can you please contact me at : ruwan@paradise.net.nz -Then I will be able to help you with your queries and send attachments.

34. Pei-Lin says:

Fz Teh,

How do you do speed read with a child? Where can I get *photo eye-play, * eye exercise cards, *mental imaging *expansion of vision cards materials?

I had done mandala exercises with my daughter some time ago but she go through them very fast. Sometimes 3 – 4 exercises in one sitting and I have trouble producing more to keep up with her. Some days we do linking memory that I printed out from “figur8” website. How often do you do this activities with your child?

Pei Lin

35. Pei-Lin says:

Raymond/Shen-Li,

Good to know that QSR is offered in Singapore and mid brain course in Malaysia. I will looked into this method next year when my daughter turns 4 and when I relocate to Singapore. I am currently in United States and doing right brain activities with my children at home.

Is there a website showing the schedule of the QSR course offered in Singapore?

Pei Lin

36. Fz Teh says:

Shenli- NOw I remember, tot it was RM500 when I called up their Puchong centre last year to make an enquiry!? And I am indeed curious what is “specialist techniques” as said by Raymond! 😉 Hehe, would certainly join even has to travel travel as fas as Singapore if that involves tachistoscope.

37. Fz Teh says:

Hi Shenli,

Thanks to the link.

You are right it’s always a step by step exercise, a persistent exercise and again it’s always the solid foundation that we lay that counts, as M. Shichida mentioned in his book that we need to do all constant exercises such as speed read, photographic memory, memorization, music, listening, empowering with the tools needed such as *mandala cards, *3D stereogram, *photo eye-play, * eye exercise cards, *mental imaging *expansion of vision cards etc before we could eventually achieve QSR. The book said 3 months, but I think more than that. He particularly pointed out the importance of 3D stereogram, and mentioned that one should do this exercise until you get to do as many 3D stereogram cards as possible because he advise to use this method to read lines of words eventually in order to obtain *QSR. When I do this exercise with V, I personally get the same feeling. V can see many 3D cards with a simple instruction. So let’s see how it goes.

38. FZ – they have a website here:

They are in malaysia. The telephone contacts are on their website.

They are running in Malaysia. David Ting commented on my blog to say the cost is RM1200.

39. Hi Raymond,

Are your workshops for adults or just children? If it is just a workshop then I suppose you teach only the practices and we will then have to go home and practice them? Hope you can clarify.

Thanks,
    Shen.

40. Hi Pei-Lin,

Raymond will be able to tell you more about this since he is the resident expert. I only know what I’ve read from the book Quantum Speed Reading. As far as I understand, the children are only ready for the four steps once in elementary school but I think it is more to do with their ability to grasp the concept of what they are supposed to do. A younger child who can understand may be able to practice it, too. You can follow the guide here:

If your child is old enough, you begin with step 1 and slowly build up to the next step as your child develops his or her ability to do the exercises in each step. You will notice that Step 4 includes the exercises from step 1, too, so it is more a step by step guide rather than try to complete all four steps in one go.

This is my understanding from what I have read. Gavin is only 4 years old right now so we have done limited practice with QSR. I intend for him to progress towards QSR through his classes in Heguru. From what I have heard from the Henmis, 90% of the children who go through the full course of Heguru will develop the QSR ability.

41. fs teh says:

Hi Raymond Fernando,

Do you run any workshop in Malaysia with specialist technigues ? I am very exciting to hear this. Do you have details on this ?

42. Hi Pei Lin
    The Quantum Speed Reading program will take at least 3 months to show results. We run a workshop in Singapore where we try to compress the activities over 2 days and get results by using specialist techniques.

43. Pei-Lin says:

Shen Li,

I was reading your article on Quantum Speed Reading Program and very interested in starting these techniques with my daughter. What is your recommendation on products to purchase to get started or are most of the materials made from home?

My second question is there are four steps on the Quantum Speed Reading Program, do we do 4 steps concurrently or one step at a time?

Pei Lin

44. FZ – I think when possible, physical flash cards are always great to have. I just wanted to present the arguments for digital flash cards because it seems to be frowned upon by some.

With regards to flashing according to children’s heartbeat, that is TweedleWink philosophy. Heguru believe faster is better. Ideally 3 per second. So I guess at the end of the day, it depends which philosophy you follow.

As for the digital flash, in the TweedleWink program, they also have it for 0-6 years. The wink program was intended for children 4 years and above because they felt that some of the activities developed the left brain which isn’t desirable so early on. At least this is my understanding.

Agreed. At the end of the day, we each have to do what works best for us and that may not be the same for everyone.

45. Fz Teh says:

And I do admit digital flash is likely to enhance photo eye-play activation subtabtially due to its reflection of lights for colored cards if this activity is pursued consistently, that said, I do observe digital flash isn’t very suitable to young child less than 4 judging from digital set purchased from “Right Brain Kids”.

If only I have to pick perhaps is on the issue of mobility ie with physical cards she can read anytime, I don’t need to limit her how many rounds, how long she wants to read, to hold, she can read anywhere either underneath the bed, garden, glance through at kitchen or in the bathroom…….perhaps these are the only advantage…that said, if the child does best with with digital, why not ? Learning shouldn’t have hard and fast rules, it all boils down to issue convenienc

46. Fz Teh says:

Hi Shenli,

Yes, I tried digital flash recently although I use substantially physical flash.

The only gripe I have with digital flash is :

(1) I can’t jumble my cards with digital flash,
    (2) as you just mentioned digital flash faster, yes, it truely is, I thought the best flash is according to children’s heartbeat?
    (3) not easy to individualised the cards ie sometimes when I observed I need my daughter to trace on the cards when Maths is concerned or other activities…

I personally feel both methods are alright when our objective to teach is met..

47. Hi CM – Yes. Ruiko Henmi also said that it is better to use physical flashcards. When asked if it is okay to use digital flashcards, she said ok as long as you have some physical flash cards as well. The reasons why I prefer digital flashcards:

– saves paper
    – faster to make (especially since I have limited time and we go through flash cards so quickly)
    – easier to flash quickly
    – easier to flash to toddlers who like to grab everything
    – I can cuddle and nurse my son at the same time while flashing (when he sees me getting ready the flash cards on the computer, he climbs into my lap and assumes the nursing position in readiness for what he anticipates to come).

Since the boys go to right brain class, they still get physical flash cards. I also have Doman flash cards at home and others that I bought from random places which we still use for linking memory.

There were a couple of arguments against using digital flash cards. I believe one was that using physical flash cards expresses more love (might have misinterpreted this one but that was my understanding). Here’s my line of thinking: if we can’t have physical flash cards, is it better to have no flash cards or digital flash cards? In other words, digital flash cards are still better than nothing, no? Secondly, how is it showing less love if I can cuddle and nurse my son while flashing digital flashcards? I can maintain physical contact with him which I wouldn’t be able to do with physical flash cards. So I don’t really understand this one.

Regarding the negative energy vibration – what is it from? The technology? Then that means watching TV and using computers is bad and we should ban them completely. Perhaps this one requires further inquiry.

Can computers go as fast as less than a second per picture – yes. I can go faster with digital flash cards than with physical flash cards. I wouldn’t use a bright screen in a dark room for very young children because their eyes are still developing (just as I did not use flash photography with the boys when they were infants). But I think if they are older, then it should be okay. The photographic memory method with flashing pictures in the dark was used on adults.

Currently, we do digital flash cards in normal light. Occasionally I darken the room but it is not totally dark.

48. Cm says:

Still fascinated with the idea… Points to ponder– do you think computers (or rather, ipad) can go as fast as less than a second per picture? Would it hurt the growing eyes of the children to do flash bright screens in a dark room?

49. Cm says:

Hi SL, I did asked sensei before if we could use computer to do flashcards because it saves paper, time and cost. But she said there is a vibration of good energy sent to the children as we flash the cards. Hence I dropped the idea of using a computer (or iPad as I had in mind) but your article seems to be bringing back very good points–especially if we r talking about just developing photographic memory of the right brain.

50. Hi Adeline,

Sometimes it is just a phase your child is going through so you can either give the flash cards a break or work out something with him, e.g. Mummy flash first then you do it. Gavin, too, likes to be “sensei” even now at 4.5 years. At 2.5 years, you should definitely continue flash cards if you can. If it isn’t working for you, take a break and come back to it. I remember from the last Heguru talk, Ruiko Henmi said the two most important actvities to do at home is reading and flash cards. If you cannot do anything else, just do these two.

Right brain games you can try:
    – linking memory
    – space memory
    – mandala

There are more here:

Good luck!

51. Thank you, Raymond. You’re too kind.

52. Adeline says:

Shen li
    I totally agree with you on the amazing photographic effect observe in children exposed to right brain learning since infancy. My child
    Since 6mths I been sending him to
    Shichida and I been doing home practice for flashcard since 6
    Mths .When he is 1.5years I noticed that he could easily recognised 12 linking memory pictures after looking at it for Less than half a min. My concern here is I can’t continue doing flashcard with him at this age of 2.5 yrs now. Whenever I tried to flash to him he would want to
    Take my flashcards and try to flash back to me as though he is the sensei n i should be the one looking at it instead. I stopped flashcard practice with my kid for almost 3 mths. Do you think is necessary to continue doing the flashcards for now And what other right games
    I should continue doing with me
    Kid ?
    C

I should do with him to ensure that I continue stimulating his right brain.thanks

53. Hi Shen- Li
    When I have enough money, I am going to hire you as my full time research assistant.
    I don’t know how to thank you for this important bit of news.
    Can you please contact me on
    ruwan@paradise.net.nz
    I have a long article to share with you
    Many thanks
    Raymond

54. My pleasure FZ. Reading and learning about early childhood development and the brain has been fascinating. I enjoy being able to share what I have learned.

55. Fz Teh says:

Just love you so much Shenli, an indeed good method to try on ! Thanks so much.

Trackbacks