Flashcards: Parts of the Body — Babylicious by Figur8

Flashcards: Parts of the Body

For those of you who are interested, I’m planning to upload all my teaching slides onto this blog.  Feel free to download them and share them with your friends and family.  I’m not really sure what is the best way to do this so I’m just going to blunder along until I figure out the easiest way to share files.  In the meantime, please bear with us.

I spend more time putting these slides together than the time it takes for Gavin and Gareth to get through them so I figured I’d try to get more mileage out of them by offering them to you.  There are two sets of slides – one with pictures which were made for Gareth, and one without pictures which were made for Gavin.  Gareth’s slides are more appropriate for babies who may not understand what the words represent.  You may also want to use them initially with your toddler if you find it difficult to maintain your toddler’s attention on the slides.  Otherwise you should just download Gavin’s slides.

Please note that all pictures are taken from google images and were, at the time I made the cards, the most appropriate picture (IMHO) to represent the slide.  If you don’t like the picture I chose, you’re welcome to replace it with your own.

For a guideline on how to use the slides, I recommend you check out my blog posts on How to Teach Your Baby (the Glenn Doman way) or you can read the book “How to Teach Your Baby to Read” by Glenn Doman.  Ideally, to teach a baby to read, the text on your flashcards needs to be quite large because their vision is still quite poor so use the computer with the largest screen in your house.  Older children don’t need such large cards – Gavin, who is 3 years old can read pretty small print.  Doman recommends increasing font size if you find your child has trouble reading the words you are showing.

I have the physical flashcards from the Doman “How to Teach Your Baby to Read” Kit and the font size is really quite large – much bigger than the slides I can make on my computer.  I usually teach Gareth the words using the physical Doman flashcards and I use the flashcards I make on the computer to teach him the concepts, for instance, what’s a “sleigh”?  I still show the words on the computer flashcards to Gareth because I have learned from Gavin not to underestimate what a child can see – Gavin read the word “duck” in the small font on a menu and several other words in similar circumstances.

The first series of flashcards that I have uploaded are “Parts of the Body” – recommended by Doman to be a good set to start with for a baby.  This is a snapshot of some of the flashcards in this series:

Download the flashcards:

About the author

Dr Shen-Li Lee Dr Shen-Li Lee is a freelance writer and mum to two boys who have been the inspiration for her ongoing study in child development and education. She searches for the balance in child development methods and educational philosophies that will encourage the nurture of happy, confident and successful children. She shares her views and findings at Figur8.

Powered by Max Banner Ads

Powered by Max Banner Ads

Comments

1. karven says:

Yes, this baby intellectual development of good help. Let the baby who began to open the brain to learn. I also bought this card for the baby, and give him the toyswill buy educational toys, let him play while you learn, grow faster.

2. Rahayu says:

Hi Shen-Li,

I’m interested to buy Glen Doman Bit of Intelligent Kits, may I know where can i buy it….thank you :)

3. Ctee says:

Hi Shen-Li,
    Glad to know that :)
    Thank you!

4. Hi Ctee,

Thanks! I’m glad you find them useful! Yes, our discount coupon is still valid: BKAFF36716.

5. Ctee says:

Hi Shen-Li,
    Thanks! The flash cards really useful.
    I read about the Little Reader flash cards that you made for the subscribers, is the discount coupon still valid?
    Please advice. Thanks!

6. Hi jennifer,

Thank you!

Doman states that it is important to make the words as big as possible – especially when the children are young. However, with Aristotle, I used A4 sheets of paper and the maximum size I could get the words to appear on a computer screen and that worked fine for me. He still picked up and was able to read pretty small print without trouble.

If you follow Doman specifications, you will need to buy special paper to make your flash cards. His initial words are 11cm for the long strokes, e.g. in the letter “h”, and 8cm for letters like “c”.

7. Jennifer says:

Hi Shen-Li, I found your blog when I googled for Glenn Doman Flash Cards. It is impressive!

My baby is already 11 months. Hope it is not too late to flash him those cards. I plan to make them. What is the correct measurement of the card for his age?

8. Thanks! Glad you found them useful!

9. Tash says:

Great cards! The only ones on the net i could find with pictures of real body parts for my baby to learn. Thanks for posting them and making them available :0

10. Hi Aryl,

I bought the deluxe reading kit and math kit. I also bought 10 sets of bits of intelligence. I can’t remember exact costing but reading kit was about Rm17k, Math kit about RM11k.

Heguru has very limited flash cards.

My two sons are attending Heguru and I am very happy with them. It is a personal choice so since you are waiting, you might as well give it a go. If you don’t like it, you can always cancel the classes and take up Shichida once you are off the waiting list.

11. aryl says:

hi,

which package of doman kit that you bougt? & how much?
    currently im getting d image from google & printing d cards myself..
    but its quite time consuming though..thought of buying a sets of flash card that i can teach them to use every day!!

by the way, did Heguru sell any flash card?

i plan to send my babies to shichida..but they only gt place next jan..which is like 6mth away..too long.. by then,my babies will be 1 yo d..
    so thought of enrolling them in heguru… what do u think?

12. My pleasure! I have more coming. I’ve been working on them at night while the kids sleep. Feels like such a waste not to share them since we’re done with them so quickly!

I haven’t gotten to the problem solving part either. Gavin’s three but he talks so well, I haven’t really had to do problem solving with him. I play a slightly different game with him. For instance, when we’re going through the food words, I’ll say something like, “I think this is something you like!” And if he knows it, he’ll usually blurt it out before I can read the word out to him. If he’s quiet, I’ll just say the word without questioning him.

An alternative, if you do decide to go with powerpoint slides, is to have both words up on the screen and ask which one is… and get your daughter to point. That’s what they do with the word games on YBCR DVDs. They flash two words on the screen and ask, “Can you point to [insert word]?”

Of course that also means you’ll have to do a little preparation yourself the night before. Just make a few slides with two words on them. Or you can flash one before the other and ask, “Is it this one, (flick slide) or this one?”

The only reason why I went with physical Doman flashcards was because I read in “How to Teach Your Baby to Read” that young children can’t read font that is too small. Since I couldn’t be bothered to buy my own cards and make them, I bought the kit. Doman was saying that if you shift to a smaller font and it appears your child is struggling to read it, you should shift back to the bigger font. But seriously, Gavin could recognise letters since he was one. He could also read out the letters of the names of the Wooden Thomas and Friends trains that were printed on the bottom of the engines and that’s a very small font in comparison to the flashcards from the Doman reading kit. The font size is probably about the equivalent to the 12 point on Microsoft word.

So if Gavin’s ability to read small font is anything to go by, it doesn’t seem like we really need the font to be that big. I’m not even sure what was the reason for Doman’s recommendation for font size to be so specific. Then again, I was talking to Wennie from Right Brain Kids (on something slightly different) and she said Doman’s work was based on brain-damaged kids who needed extra help to repair their damaged pathways. Normal kids don’t need to repair anything and therefore would absorb material more quickly. I’m assuming that could also mean that they wouldn’t necessarily need the font to be as big? Just a speculation.

13. yean says:

hi Shen Li, thanks alot for sharing the flash cards! I’m planning to start the flash cards with my girl (1months plus) with power point. Just wondering if it’s better to show using power point or it’s better to use the cards physically as from what i have read, after we’ve flash the cards, we’ll have to do the problem solving (of course i think this part i can only do with my girl when she’s much older) where the girl will have to pick up cards that i have just mentioned, etc.

Thanks!